ABOUT ME...

My photo
I'm a self-professed adventure writer and former exercise junkie seeking a long-term relationship with my higher self, healthy workout habits, and a balanced, adventurous lifestyle in San Luis Obispo. Join me as I discover the healthy activities of SLO County, from land to sea.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Cambria's Moonstone Beach Boardwalk


Yesterday as I was stretching during the middle of my workout, the gentleman standing next to me said, "This is the best gym in town." I couldn't have agreed more.

But I wasn't sweatin' it out inside a fitness center, I was standing on a viewing deck overlooking the Pacific Ocean on Cambria's  Moonstone Beach Boardwalk. Outside in the sunshine, fresh air and low-70 degree temperatures, thunderous waves crashed below me, whales spouted in the far horizon, and I benefited from a few hours of exercise. What an amazing weekend to explore the California Central Coast! 


Cambria lies at the northern end of San Luis Obispo County and its famous stretch of coastline, Moonstone Beach, is easily accessible. Just look for the signs as you're driving on Highway One through Cambria.
When I visit the boardwalk, I prefer to park at the northern end of Moonstone Beach Drive at San Simeon State Park's Leffingwell Landing. There is a large paved lot, public restrooms, picnic grounds and beautiful views. Before beginning on the boardwalk, you can head north up these stairs and meander along a short roped trail that winds along the cliffs. Access stairs allow you to walk down to the pebble-studded shore.

To begin the Moonstone Beach Boardwalk from San Simeon State Park, walk south over the bridge from the park. The boardwalk is about 1.5 miles each way and is a flat, easy course to follow. Several benches and viewing decks allow walkers to stop and soak in the stunning blue sea. There are plenty of access stairs along the way, leading to tide pools and the beach.

There is always a bevy of activity at Moonstone Beach. Yesterday I saw surfers, fishermen, families playing on the shore, people walking their dogs, and many out searching for sea glass and moonstones.


At the southern end of the boardwalk, you'll find many beachgoers and surfers at Moonstone Beach Park. Yesterday these walloping waves gave surfers and onlookers quite a thrill.

Click here for directions and more details about this splendid walk.
Happy Trails!



No comments:

Post a Comment